Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Me and BP

Even thought I think the company should be destroyed and its fields sown with salt, etc, I've always had a soft spot for BP. When I was a kid I had and extensive Matchbox car collection. This was late 60's/early 70's back when they said "Made in England" on the bottom. It was still pretty much a British oriented company and many of the models were unique to Britain. The tow trucks and tankers were labeled with what you'd see in Britain: Esso and BP. Living in California at the time these were foreign to me. This was pre-Exxon, so we had Enco stations that for some obscure reason (to me) looked sort of like Esso, but I knew BP was British Petroleum and that was in Britain. Traveling in New England one year, I was surprised, and pleased, to actually see the green and yellow shield in front of a gas station. They changed their logo in the past 10 years or so, and I've lost any sentimentality I ever had for them. Here's what I'm talking about (it is a Dodge truck, though): (Photo by Flickr user Danny McL: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmcl/3645838881/. Used under a Creative Commons license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/. The image has not been modified.)

No comments: